9/15/16: HOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY SHIIIIIII – ONE YEAR OF TAPPING THAT ASS ALL THE WAYYYYY BACK!!!!!
I am in FULL celebration mode, as I should be! I have been teaching spin for ONE YEAR. WAIT, HAS IT REALLY BEEN A YEAR?!! This time last year I was the new red head on the scene just trying to survive teaching 45 minutes without totally screwing up.
It’s been fun, challenging, emotional & exciting to say the least! TONIGHT I’m teaching almost my 300th class! Can’t wait!
BUT FIRST….REWIND: let’s take it back to the very beginning!
After graduating college at 198lbs, my heaviest weight, I knew it was time for a lifestyle change!! You can read my weight loss story here!!! I discovered RS in November of 2014 & was hooked from the first beat drop! I remember thinking …. how is this cardio!? I started riding in our Sugar Land location while living with my parents for a few months after moving home from the DFW area. I WAS HOOKED. I loved everything about RS from the very start. The sense of community was like nothing I had ever seen before! As a rider there were many classes where I used the studio to cry my eyes out & work through some really hard times, still do.
Revolution made me feel confident, comfortable & strong again! In January 2015, Carlos and I moved to the city reducing my ability to go to my usual daily spin class! I was missing spin SO much! I NEEDED SPIN.
That was the moment I started considering teaching! I reached out to RS via social media (duh) & was asked to send my resume to Charisse! HEY GIRL, HEY! After a few days, Charisse sent me an email requesting a sweat date in SL followed by dinner at SALATA. YASSSS!! YASSS!!! I was so excited! Over dinner she explained the process to me – audition, training & time commitment! ALL OF IT. As a rider/client I found a whole new appreciation for all the spin instructors at RS. I quickly realized just how hard and demanding their jobs really were! Here I was thinking: I love to spin & I can ride the beat like a boss, I’ll be golden. NO BOOOOOO. NO. I took a few days to review the information she gave me & made my decision. I WANTED TO AUDITION! Next thing you know I was scheduled to audition the following week. For the audition, I was to perform a party jog & sprint song of my chooseing. I couldn’t tell you what I did because it was a blur, but really don’t ask. I had Jen, Bertha & Tina (all seasoned instructors) in my audition – SCARY AF. After the performance portion, they interviewed me. That was when they got to see who I was as a person. I told them about myself and shared my love for RS. From there they asked me to step out of the spin room for a bit. It felt like forevvvvvvvvvvvvvvv… but Jen finally came out and formally invited me into the training program! AHHHHHHHHH!
That’s how it all started! After three months of intensive training I hit the stage for my first ever class 9/15/15…. ONE YEAR AGO!!!!
20 DEATS INTO THE LIFE OF A SPIN INSTRUCTOR
1. music will never be listened to the same – but is this a hill, party jog or sprint?
2. there is an 100% chance you’ll forget to charge your computer & pray it doesn’t die in class
3. no we didn’t just wake up one day & hop on that stage….
MY TRAINING WAS 3 MONTHS LONG:
- rode 5 times a week in senior instructor classes
- training three mornings a week at 5:30AM
- observed one class a week
- co-teaches w/ current instructors
- feedback sessions
- AND MORE
4. we take what our riders say to heart – sometimes it hurts yoooo (#THEGOLDENRULE is still a thing)
5. the sound system goes out & yelling loud AF is your only option
6. the lights decides to stop mid class – candlelit class for the win
7. working the room off the bike turns into a trip, fall…. FACE PLANT
8.gym bag is missing a sports bra & socks… this happens to many times to count (SHOUTOUT TO THE STAFF FOR GIVING ME A BRA… THIS HAPPENED)
9. we know when you cancel your bike
10. we ride left lead but YELL RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT…. can you imagine?
11. no we don’t always want to teach – let’s be real we are human
12. the staff know allllllll the scoop & drama around the studio #weneedourownrealitytvshow
13. learning client names & building relationships makes teaching so special
14. sometimes we don’t know what the helllllzzzz we are doing, NO IDEA
15. we go to the bathroom before class at least five times to ensure we are in the clear…. but this might just be me haha
16. staying genuine to who you are is key to becoming the strongest instructor you can
17. taking feedback without taking it personally can be a challenge
18. we say & do what we mean
19. talking, spinning & breathing all at the same time should be considered a talent LMAO
20. helping change someones life is the most rewarding & humbling gift
If you live in Houston or ever visit come stop by the studio for a class!!! We have a fabulous new client offer valid for both YOGA & CYCLING!
You get two weeks unlimited for $35 dollars!
Check out our website for more information!
Leave a comment below! I love to hear from you all! XO